Why are the HP Prime and HP-35s so unpopular?
02-19-2021, 07:01 PM
RE: Why are the HP Prime and HP-35s so unpopular?
(02-03-2021 05:20 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(02-03-2021 05:19 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I don't understand why this calculator (correct me if I'm wrong) was never recalled to remove at least the most important bugs....

Because that would cost money.

If I recall correctly, the 35S OS and firmware was outsourced to Kinpo (or perhaps another outfit), and the HP software team played no role in it with the exception of creating the specifications. So I imagine that testing the machine was effectively like working with a "black box". My understanding was that there had been no plans for the domestic calc team to ever have visibility into the underlying code of the 35S (Cyrille, can you expand on this?). To this day, I don't think anyone in the U.S. ever obtained a copy of that code. Again, since the ROM was not flash, there would be no upgrades to existing units. In the 21st century, we probably all agree that while this approach might have looked good to HP at the time (in 2007), it wasn't the optimal solution for customers.

Jake
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are the HP Prime and HP-35s so unpopular? - Jake Schwartz - 02-19-2021 07:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)