Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
01-25-2021, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2021 05:22 PM by Peet.)
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions
(01-25-2021 03:24 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The more I dug into it, the more RPL looked like the most natural successor to RPN.
I know others will disagree.

You're right, I disagree across the board.

I see RPL as a fork, not a successor to RPN. I liked my HP-28S and I do like my HP-48G, but not a successor or replacement for my 11C or 41CV.
For a typical (scientific or business) pocket calculator I consider RPN to be the clearly better input option than RPL. It is clearer, more direct and less prone to errors and mistakes. Also for keystroke-programming RPL would be a kind of users hell but for a calculator with a structured programming I think RPL is amazing (as input and program-language).

I like being able to have entire programs and matrix or lists in the stack with the 28 or 48, but with the 41 this would probably do more harm than good and contradicts the concept of the 41.

P.S. A successor usually replaces the predecessor, HP still builds RPN calulators but where is RPL? In that way RPL would be more like a wrong step in evolution than "natural successor".

My calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP11C, HP28S - current: HP48G, HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42, HP12C
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42: Unlimited-length strings and other type extensions - Peet - 01-25-2021 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)