Free42 with big stack, test version
02-04-2021, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2021 11:39 AM by Peet.)
RE: Free42 with big stack, test version
(02-03-2021 11:21 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  For manual calculations this may not be a very big deal, ...

It is, but not in a good way. x=0 is not the same as an empty stack and you can't clear the stack with "0 enter enter enter" etc.
It has been pretty reckless on the part of HP to ignore the habits of many RPN users in such a mean way.

You have no idea how often my HP48 almost flew out of the window because of "Error: To Few Arguments" which even appeared on the HP48 if you wanted to push it away with <-, the HP28S and the Prime (also the Free42 test version) does it better in this case. But in contrast to the HP calculators, the Free42 does not show the function that triggered the error.

(02-03-2021 11:21 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  ... the big stack offers an alternative for people who prefer that kind of coding style.

I think it was precisely this consideration that led to the development of RPL. Wouldn't a dynamic array be more consistent for this on a RPN Calculator?

As I mentioned in an other thread, I don't see RPL as a successor to RPN but more as a fork. In RPL it became consistent with a dynamic stack. In RPN calculation was the startpoint and the stack optimized for this kind of operation. The programming "language" (Keystoke) resulted from it. In RPL a new structured language was developed and the stack was replaced by a list with stack-functionality for calculations.

I like to juggle the stack myself in programs instead of using register but the limited stack in particular forces you to make it understandable e.g. if you look at such a program again after years.

My calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP11C, HP28S - current: HP48G, HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42, HP12C
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42 with big stack, test version - Peet - 02-04-2021 08:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)