Plus42 algebraic expressions update
03-06-2021, 08:21 PM
RE: Plus42 algebraic expressions update
(03-06-2021 08:13 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Very interesting suggestion!! I like it! Smile

For me, simply letting the user pick an existing equation to insert into the current program (retaining other features as you've explained, e.g. comments) is plenty good enough; I see no need to include the ability to create/edit the equation while already in the program editor, that seems unnecessary complexity. Simply let the user step through a list of currently defined equations to select the one to insert.

An issue to consider is how to treat such an 'inserted' equation if the user chooses to delete the equation from the set of stored. Ultimately, this is no different from a normal [XEQ] "ABC" instruction when the user has removed the "ABC" program, I only bring it up here to note it for consideration when building it, assuming this makes sense in the overall scheme.

This will be a nice touch!
The 32SII/35S manage this very smoothly, with no complexity from a user perspective. Of course to do this Thomas will have a bit of work to do - adding another instruction type for equations in programs. We'll see what he thinks, but that seems doable for me.
As I mentioned, if you have 'XEQ NAME" rather than the actual equation in the program, the drawback is that the program is less readable - you have to go the equation list to see what it refers too. Also, your equation list (which is global to the calculator) will soon be crowed with lots of small equations that are relevant only to one particular program - which makes this list less easy to read and maintain. I think both systems should coexist...

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plus42 algebraic expressions update - Vincent Weber - 03-06-2021 08:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)