HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H
03-16-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H
(03-16-2021 01:21 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  
(03-15-2021 11:20 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  ...
Where do other folks in Germany get batteries for their 9114 drives and Portable computers?

In the past years, I have rebuilt quite a few battery packs for 110s, 9114s, Thinkjets and the like.
In case of lead batteries I used "Hawker EnerSys Cyclon" cells for the Portables (the ones I have were originally equipped with this type) and arbitrary, maintenance-free Pb batteries for the 9114.
I usually measure the dimensions and then try to find the best match in size and capacity.
For example the "Multipower" brand is useable.

It is not necessary to use the same brand (e.g. Panasonic), but the chemistry should be identical. Don't replace a Pb battery with a NiCd, or NiMh, because the charging circuitry is designed for each specific battery type. On the other hand the old charging circuits are rather primitive by todays standards. NiCd can be replaced with NiMh - not perfect, but o.k.

For long life, Pb batteries should never be dis-charged completely, best recharge at about 50% capacity or even earlier. (for the HP 110, recharging at about 60-7ß% is recommended). Regular checking and recharging (e.g. every 2-3 months or so) is recommended.

For practical application it may be better to replace the battery by an external power supply and not connect the charging circuit. This is especially true for the 9914, where the battery capacity is too small for long term usage.

Have a look e.g. at this web site:
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus/6-volt on the second page you will find a "MULTIPOWER BLEIAKKU MP2.8-6P 6,0VOLT 2,8AH" which should fit.
or
https://www.akkuline.de/akku/bleiakkus?p...=24&f=2838
Also, Amazon and auction web sites will bring up such batteries.

Martin

The "MP2.8-6P 6,0VOLT 2,8AH" has a high of 104 mm, the duct in the HP 110 Portable Plus is 107 mm wide. 3 mm for the poles. Ui-Ui-Ui.Because the battery is so cheap, I want to try it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-110 Portable Plus, battery, bad device ROM1L and ROM1H - Uli - 03-16-2021 06:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)