Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
02-13-2022, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2022 12:06 AM by Akuji.)
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
I've managed to collect the whole family of (Sharp Zaurus) 'PI' series of organizers with the IC card slot. The model PI-7000 is absent on the photo below since it lacks this slot (instead, the manufacturer equipped it with an additional 1 Mb of flash memory for data storage) and is out of my interest.

[Image: IMG-8065.jpg]

In addition to the regular PI-xx00 models, there are three 'FX' variants. Those are bundled with a modem.

[Image: IMG-8066.jpg]

Out of the PI series, I would like to highlight the following four models:
- PI-3000 is the firstborn in the Zaurus family; the successor to then state-of-the-art but commercially failed organizer PV-F1. PI-3000 resulted from the collaboration between Sharp and Apple on the Newton project and was meant to eliminate all the issues the aforementioned PV-F1 had.
- PI-5000 has a wide range of communication capabilities (for example, it was possible to use online networks via cell phone acting as a modem) as well as the ability to install third-party apps (called 'Add in') directly into the device's memory from a PC/network
- PI-6000 was smaller and lighter, and the redesigned interface allowed to get rid of lots of touch buttons on the edges of the screen.
- PI-8000 was the "swan song" of the series and the most advanced model, equipped with a built-in modem and, for the first time, a widescreen display. Because of the latter, the organizer has limited compatibility with IC cards.

[Image: IMG-8067.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8070.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series) - Akuji - 02-13-2022 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)