Please help with filing a bug against glibc, I have privacy concerns
04-23-2021, 11:03 AM
RE: Please help with filing a bug against glibc, I have privacy concerns
If you insist on the landmine analogy, please pay attention to how I asked for a weapons disposal expert, not just any neighbor: "I now need someone who's less concerned about privacy". Because there literally are people who get paid for defusing and disposing of landmines. It's not a job for everyone, but priorities are different for different people, just like in this privacy case.

Stretching the mine analogy further, trying to circumvent the issue using GMail is like dropping a small nuclear bomb on it. It makes the landmine vanish, but you've just swapped the explosive problem for nuclear fallout stretching all the way to other Google services that I cannot avoid using, like the captchas that occasionally pop up in random corners of the internet, or other Google APIs which are required to make some 3rd-party websites work.

ProtonMail is a mine defusing checklist, which is much more up my alley - I can do it myself, but it's not perfect either. One account per person allowed, only one address per account unless I pay up, can't use ordinary mail clients like KMail or Thunderbird unless I pay up ... so using that is a bit cumbersome (that I could deal with), and would mean locking myself out of migrating there after I leave the university, which I also need to look into at some point. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

All that is moot though, because an explosives expert has picked up my call: while you guys were quibbling over privacy and mail services and mail addresses, I received a message with the offer to forward the bug report - pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'm not gonna name the person here, this was a private message after all; this leaves the decision whether to associate a forum user name with the offer to the affected person. That's the least I can do to respect others' privacy.

Now that the privacy angle has been discussed to death: neighbors, can we please preemptively evacuate the blast zone together and prepare the nearby road for landmine transport - I mean, get back to the technical issue of ld.so falling flat on its face under certain circumstances?

(04-23-2021 07:27 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  This thread is really a 'nothing to see here, move on' unless you happen to be a helpful bug-filer by disposition.
Bingo, that's what I was going for with the thread title - both versions of it. With less than optimal results, unfortunately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help with filing a bug against glibc, I have privacy concerns - 3298 - 04-23-2021 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)