Calculators with Support of the 82240 IR-Printer
08-08-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: Calculators with Support of the 82240 IR-Printer
(08-07-2014 06:22 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 11:09 AM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  Thanks for the comprehensive information.

I recently purchased a NOS HP82240B printer out of curiosity & whilst it seems to work well with the 48 series (48SX & 48GX), it is rather unreliable with my HP50G calculators. Noticed in the original post that there is a reference to these being switchable to 82240B mode - would you please explain how this is performed?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I had written my first post without having Access to an HP 40g. In the meantime I acquired one and found that for manual printing you only have to select "Infrared" in the print Dialog (Options are Infrared, USB, Serial). This should set the appropriate flags. For Output from a program you have to set the appropriate flags.

System flags of interest:
I/O Device (–33),
Printing Device (–34), << defines IrDA or Redeye protocol
Double-spaced Printing (–37),
Linefeed (–38),
I/O Device for Wire (–78)

See the description of system flags in the "Advanced Users Reference Manual", Appendix C.

–33 I/O Device.
Clear: I/O directed to USB/serial port.
Set: I/O directed to IrDA port.

–34 Printing Device.
Clear: Prints via IR to the HP 82240 printer. Flag –33 is ignored.
Set (default): Printer output directed to USB/serial port if flag –33 is clear, or to
IrDA compatible printer otherwise.

Please also note that the range of the HP 50g's IR Signal is very small, compared to the HP 48 - just about 50-100 mm ( 2-4 inches). I guess this is your problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the explanation on the effect of the Flag -33 & -34 settings on IR communication via the HP50G.

Based on this, I've been using the correct settings to print to the HP 82240B but it is still rather "flaky" with the HP50G. Through my own trials, I realised that the transmission distance needed to be extremely short & now typically place the calculator almost right up against the IR receiver on the printer.

Have also played with the HP50G's height relative to the printer & it does seem to perform better if I raise the calculator ~ 3-5 mm. I think this may be due to the positioning of the IR transmitter on the calculator versus the earlier HP48 models the printer may have been designed for.

Whilst it is ok as a "play thing", I am not sure I would recommend extensive printing to a HP 82240B from a HP 50G.

Cheers,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calculators with Support of the 82240 IR-Printer - Michael Lopez - 08-08-2014 07:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)