CAS diff() giving incorrect results
09-22-2021, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2021 02:57 AM by Wes Loewer.)
CAS diff() giving incorrect results
A couple of years ago I posted about a problem with the diff() command (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13532.html). The problem still exists in the most recent firmware.

I guess I had forgotten about the issue because I ran into the problem again yesterday, only it's worse than I original thought. The problem arises when you try to evaluate a derivative at a value, which is something that frequently comes up in calculus and physics.

For instance, evaluating the 2nd derivative of x^3 at x=4.

diff(x^3,x,2)|x = 4

which should evaluate to 6*x|x=4 which is 24. However, the CAS substitutes 4 in for x BEFORE differentiating, so the expression is interpreted as

diff(4^3,4,2) = diff(64,4,2)

which is meaningless.

Even worse than no answer is giving the wrong answer. If the value of x contains pi, then you get incorrect results.

diff(x^3+π^4,x)|x = π

should result in 3*x^2|x=π which is 3*π^2. Instead, the line is interpreted as

diff(π^3+π^4,π)

and now π is treated as a variable. So the result is 3*π^2+4*π^3.

This issue came to light yesterday when I was checking my test answer key and entered this (using primes which is equivalent to diff).

(x^2*cos(x))''|x = π

evaluated to -2 instead of π^2-2. I assumed that I had made some silly mistake in my work by hand. It took several repeated attempts before I concluded that I was correct and the calculator was wrong.

I realize I could use the d/dx template which works correctly, but there is no template for 2nd or higher order derivatives and

(∂(∂(x^2*cos(x),x),x)|(x = π))

looks really awkward (especially in Textbook mode) and using the ' (primes) is so very convenient. It's really an order of operations issue in which |x=a should be applied AFTER the diff() command has completed, not BEFORE.

And it seems only natural that the HP "Prime" should be able to correctly work with "primes". Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CAS diff() giving incorrect results - Wes Loewer - 09-22-2021 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)