Consumer Reports likes Numworks
10-23-2021, 07:52 PM
RE: Consumer Reports likes Numworks
(10-23-2021 03:07 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Having two different keys on an algebraic calculator is not necessary since the - in 4-2 is the same symbol as in -5.

Actually, HP, Casio, and TI calculators all use slightly different symbols. The unary negative symbol is smaller and more elevated than the binary subtraction symbol. (TeX uses the same symbols with different spacing to distinguish the two.)

(10-23-2021 03:07 PM)John Keith Wrote:  The inconsistency regarding + vs ADD for lists is an unfortunate legacy of using + to concatenate lists on the earlier RPL calculators. When listability of functions was implemented in the 48G, they had to use a different function name or else break compatibility with earlier models. NewRPL attempts to correct the situation by switching the meanings of + and ADD but I personally find ADD to be less than intuitive for list concatenation.

Even though I knew the history of + vs ADD, I still didn't like it. Here's a thread with my suggestion back in 2010 to remedy the situation (https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.hp4...rvP3IHIdEJ), but it didn't gain any traction, and probably for good reason. I still think my idea would have worked, but it just wasn't worth the effort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Consumer Reports likes Numworks - celltx - 10-22-2021, 05:11 PM
RE: Consumer Reports likes Numworks - Wes Loewer - 10-23-2021 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)