Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
04-13-2022, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 11:05 AM by jonmoore.)
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
(04-13-2022 10:44 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 10:38 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  @Thomas, I'm really enjoying the tweaks to Plus42 over Free42. Especially the ability to use 27S/19Bii Equation solver techniques. However, owning a 19Bii and both DM42/DM41x, I believe the utility of the Equation solving techniques as outlined in "Step-by-Step - Technical applications for the HP-27S and HP-19B" would be streamlined if Plus42 had a proper alpha keyboard, instead of the HP-42s alpha keyboard. Entering equations can be a tedious affair (even with a proper alpha keyboard) but the workflow is at least eased with a dedicated alpha keyboard.

I don't believe you'd have to adulterate the 42S faceplate with alpha legends, but the skin could dynamically update when in alpha mode. I've obviously been spoilt by the dedicated alpha keyboard on the 19Bii but the dedicated alpha keys on the DM42 is one of the most significant workflow tweaks of the DM42 hardware over the 42S.

When using Plus42 via a desktop build, the lack of a dedicated alpha keyboard isn't a UX bottleneck. But with the ubiquity of tablets and phones, I suspect that the majority of Free42/Plus42 users are using mobile devices these days. I never program Free42 on a mobile device because of the lack of a dedicated alpha keyboard, and Plus42 seems like a perfect opportunity to streamline that particular mobile workflow barrier (especially if Plus42 is going to be a commercial offering on mobile platforms).
An alpha keyboard would be nice to have, but on the other hand Plus42 greatly reduced its need, compared to the 19BII:
1) You have shortcuts for all importants functions: direct for L() and G(), programming menu for IF, S(), Sigma,... and full function catalog
2) You have access to all defined variables, so if you have a long variable you can just create it first, and then recall it rather than typing it every time.

I agree with your points, but a dedicated alpha keyboard is useful as part of general calculator UX too. My alpha keyboard habits were probably learnt via my HP-41 use, but I find with the DM42, I seldom use the menus as I know most of the commands in a 42 without the need to dive into menus (well at least those commands I most commonly use). This speeds up general calculator usage significantly. I was using the equation solver use-case as an example as that's the Plus42 enhancement I've been using most often.

The story is much the same when using my DM41x. I generally use the same set of .mods on a day to day basis (mainly Angel's Sandmath family of modules, inclusive of his complex/matrix math modules). It's not a case that I memorise the whole of their available program catalogues but those that are part of the User keyboards and launchers you end up learning unconsciously without any dedicated effort.

I rely on menu diving on my 50g but that's because the library is massive, and the menus themselves minimise extra clicks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release - jonmoore - 04-13-2022 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)