How do you like the Woodstock calculators?
04-01-2022, 12:32 AM
RE: How do you like the Woodstock calculators?
I used my HP-25 for almost 10 years as my only calculator through high school, 4 years of collage and 2 years at my first job as an electrical engineer. I too never gave charging a second thought although I never plugged the charger in without a battery pack installed. Around year 8 or 9 the batteries would no longer hold a charge and I switched to using alkaline batteries. I was concerned about the higher voltage from using alakalines so I cut the battery springs apart and soldered a silicon diode between them to drop a the voltage a bit. This seemed to work ok but around a year later, I started experiencing glitches in its operation. I ended up replacing it with a new HP-11C. At some point I removed the diode and soldered the spring back together and it has been working happily on alkaline batteries ever since. I suspect the diode was dropping too much voltage or it’s series resistance was too much. The 0.5 higher voltage from using alakalines does not seemed to have harmed it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you like the Woodstock calculators? - Steve Simpkin - 04-01-2022 12:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)