HP Prime G2 die when i turn it off while charging
03-23-2022, 10:54 PM
RE: HP Prime G2 die when i turn it off while charging
(03-23-2022 05:54 PM)Kevin Ouellet Wrote:  Question: Before charging it for the first time, did you let the calculator reach zero battery percentage to the point where the device turns off by itself? I remember reading stories about how it was a bad idea to do so with any device that has a rechargeable battery (other than AAA's), especially older phones, and that it could also reduce the battery lifespan and even cause the battery to explode and catch fire, but I don't remember if letting a device get to 0% or worse letting it sit at 0% for weeks can cause hardware damage during the next charge. Does the HP Prime G2 have any protection against such scenarios?

No, this is pure and simply a matter of defective hardware. It's shitty, but even with the stringent of QC in any process, faults happen. Any modern (advanced) device utilising lipo's has a proper battery management IC that protects the battery from over- and undercharge scenarios.
AFAIK the shutdown of the device is completely handled by the Processor (so actually it never actually shuts down, more 'goes to sleep'). So shutting down the device during charging simply can't result into what is described here, a faulty ic, faulty charger or even spikes on your mains lines most definitely can cause this. So my advice, return your device to the shop, you should get a new one. And check your USB charger, if it's even slightly chinsy, throw it out. The 5 bucks you saved by buying a shitty one, you just wasted with your device burnt. (note, not blaming you per se, hardware fault of your calculator is most definitely possible. And even if it wasn't, the calc should be designed to handle unexpected spikes in voltage etc.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime G2 die when i turn it off while charging - Beatskip - 03-23-2022 10:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)