NASA HP-41 Flight Procedures Handbook
05-01-2022, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2022 05:19 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: NASA HP-41 Flight Procedures Handbook
Hello!

(05-01-2022 04:52 PM)Tom Flatterhand Wrote:  Proof that the HP-41C really did have a role in shuttle flights! Thanks!

We don't really know if it had a role other than being carried on board... I looked through the manual and most of the functions are provided for emergency use or in cases with total loss of communication with the ground stations. Neither of them occurred during the Shuttle operations (apart from the two accidents) and in the latter case, the loss of communications, the "infinitely" more powerful onboard computer would still have worked.

Out of curiosity I looked at the "landing program". Most of what it does (compute things like speeds for approach and landing or landing roll distances) is done with an iPad these days in the operation where I fly. So I guess the HP-41 could have been of some use there in case of a loss of communication and the loss of the onboard computer. This only covers the final approach phase though. The difficult part of landing a Shuttle is not this phase, but how to maneuver it into a postion from which the final gliding approach can be performed following the de-orbit burn.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NASA HP-41 Flight Procedures Handbook - Maximilian Hohmann - 05-01-2022 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)