Arbitrary precision - two or three approaches
06-03-2022, 08:06 PM
RE: Arbitrary precision - two or three approaches
Fascinating stuff.

It's great to have a calculator compute the digits of pi ad infinitum and any other interesting formulas we throw at it.

But in the real physical world quantities are derived from observations that have some level of noise and measurement errors. However small that error might be, it's never zero.

The smallest possible size of anything in the universe is the Planck Length \( 1.6 10^{-35}m \). The visible universe is 46.508 billion light years. Times \( 9.461 10^{15}m \) gives \( 4.4 10^{26}m \). So anything in the visible universe, its size, position, energy and so on requires no more than 61 digits (26+35). Just a quick back-of-the-envelope estimate. I didn't look it up. I could be off (disclaimer!). For example, if we need to exactly represent the center of a subatomic particle on Betelgeuse at an instant of time and measured without noise and no quantum effect (no spooky things), then less than 61 digits will do.

I want a quantum calculator that can calculate spooky things Smile

Wait, aren't those not already available as a true RNG?

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arbitrary precision - two or three approaches - robve - 06-03-2022 08:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: