HP 32E Battery compartment tabs
06-16-2022, 11:14 AM
RE: HP 32E Battery compartment tabs
(06-15-2022 11:06 AM)BillBee Wrote:  I personally would expect the worst. The Spice series is known for having the chips fry when using the adaptor with dead/or no batteries and you did this multiple times.
-Bill

Regarding the risky, low-cost charging system used in the Woodstock and Spice models. I wonder if the ICs used in Spice models were slightly better able to withstand the high voltage applied to them when using the charger without the batteries installed. I have heard so many cases where the ACT chip was fried from this in Woodstock models. I have heard other cases where this was done to a Spice model and it survived the experience. The warning messages in the Owner’s Handbook about operating the calculator on the adapter without batteries installed also changed between the two series. The warning is much more dire in the Woodstock manual (first picture below) than in the Spice manuals (second picture). Not that I am advocating that anyone try using the AC charger without known good batteries installed. Just something I have observed.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 32E Battery compartment tabs - KD8TZC - 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM
RE: HP 32E Battery compartment tabs - Steve Simpkin - 06-16-2022 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)