Sharp PC-E500S or Sharp PC-G850VS?
06-17-2022, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 09:26 AM by jonmoore.)
RE: Sharp PC-E500S or Sharp PC-G850VS?
(06-16-2022 11:18 PM)Helix Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 09:06 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  You can still pick up a G850VS for a reasonable price, whereas the E500S comes with a heavy premium (much like the 71B), but my gut instinct is to hunt for an E500S in decent condition, but I'm looking for advice regarding this choice.

I have both, but I've used only the E500S so far.
What the emulator can't tell you is that the E500S is really huge. The G850VS is thicker, but not so large.
On the other side, the display of the G850VS has a superb contrast, and bigger characters, which can be useful. However the display of the E500S is not bad.

One of the greatest points of the E500S for me is the ability to program it in Forth, with a modern and very complete Forth system:
https://github.com/Robert-van-Engelen/Forth500

I have no issues with the physical dimensions of the E500S, I'm not looking for something pocketable. If I want a mobile 'pocket computer' I'll reach for an RPL calculator (28/48 or 50). My experience in purchasing classic HP calculators is that I regret purchasing items that are 'compromised' (in terms of my idealised features) and realise that I would have been better off purchasing the overpriced premium items in the first place.

With regards to classic pocket calculators, I only have a Casio fx-880p so far, and I'm very happy with it but it lacks in terms of its file system (a characteristic that afflicts all Casio pocket computers AFAIK).

A HP-91b is too rich for my blood, as they're particularly expensive here in the UK when they come up for auction, particularly by the time you factor in import duties, 20%VAT and transit costs. The one rare UK listing on eBay that I've seen in recent months is currently £200 and there's still 24 hours to go (and has plenty of watchers so I can see it eventually selling for £300 - £400 by the time the auction closes).

The G850VS sells for £100-£150. And the less crazy 500S's go for £200-£250 (inc VAT, transit and import duties).

My experience with the 500S emulator, mixed with the info I've gleaned via Marcus Von Cubes' excellent comparison tables (and comparing various official docs or their translation in the case of the 850VS), has brought me to the conclusion that the 500S is my best option. A HP91B with Math Pac and RAM would be my desert island choice, but my partner might issue divorce papers should she realise how much I've 'squandered' on that particular plaything!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sharp PC-E500S or Sharp PC-G850VS? - jonmoore - 06-17-2022 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)