Most mind-blowing program for your favorite calculator
06-18-2022, 03:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2022 03:38 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
RE: Most mind-blowing program for your favorite calculator
I don’t know if this qualifies but in retrospect it seems kind of far fetched by today’s standards.

I bought my HP-25 in 1977 and used it though high school, four years of college, and my first two years of work as an engineer. While I wrote many small programs to automate tasks, the most complex one was for a project at work around 1984.

I had to create a table of elevations and compass headings used to aim a portable 5 foot satellite dish at the Galaxy II geostationary television satellite from about 200 latitude/longitude locations across north America. I obtained the required formulas from a library book, wrote the program, entered it into my HP-25, plugged it into AC power and away I went. At the time I didn't have access to a computer with a printer. The "company" computer filled a LARGE room, used punch cards and no one, including the people who manned it, knew how to write new programs for it. The latitude/longitude locations were provided for selected cities in the U.S. that I would have had to enter manually anyway. The HP-25 did the job in a fraction of the time and effort any other method would have required.

You really could do a lot with 49 steps of program memory. HP product do "fill real needs, and provide lasting value".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most mind-blowing program for your favorite calculator - Steve Simpkin - 06-18-2022 03:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)