[VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability
10-09-2022, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2022 05:18 AM by C.Ret.)
RE: [VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability
(10-09-2022 01:29 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  As 23/288 evaluates to 0.079861... then yes, your result is correct, except that you omitted the 8, a simple typo.

Quote:EDIT:
I upgraded my code to avoid rounding errors as much as possible. Now I find P = 1656 / 20736 for R=5 and S=4 [...]

But 1656/20736 immediately simplifies to 23/288, which is the correct result, as stated in my OP. Why would you give your result as a fraction not reduced to its lowest terms ?

Thanks Valentin.

I was very tired last night, which certainly explains the errors in copying, but also my lack of lucidity. I didn't even see that my fraction was reduced to 23/288.
My general condition explains this but does not excuse me.

Today, I wake up in great shape and I will go over my notes and resume my program. I will post it here and explain how it works. The major problem now is its efficiency because in the current version, on my poor HP-71B, it needs no less than 1'27" for (R,S)=(5, 4) and 2'32" for (R, S)=(5, 7).

And of all the authorized machines I own, this HP-71B is by far the fastest.

I expect it to take over 4 hours to calculate (R,S)=(50,60).

I recently got a MATH module, I hope to find the algorithmic way to take advantage of it. For the moment, the calculation is done using arrays and numerous nested loops. It looks very much like a matrix product.

I'm going to have a good breakfast and finish some work in the garden to prepare it for the arrival of winter while thinking about it.

I will post this evening the fruit of my developments, trying to do it before falling asleep and being unable to reread myself...

Best regards.
C.Ret
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability - C.Ret - 10-09-2022 04:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)