[VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability
10-13-2022, 11:27 PM
RE: [VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability
Hi, all,

A few comments before I post my original solution in a few days ...

Vincent Weber Wrote:Before posting my code in another thread, let me try to remember how to convert a recursive algorithm into an iterative one

It will be quite a sight for sure, please do.

PeterP Wrote:[...] like the example you provided (btw - it was the provision of that example that allowed little ol’ me to engage and learn, perfectly chosen, thank you!)

I'm glad it was so helpful to you. I believe that including a 'toy' version of a problem helps immensely to detect and iron out bugs in one's program, as well as eficiency issues, e.g. if the toy case takes too long then the real McCoy will be hopeless so one has better improve the algorithm instead.

PeterP Wrote:I dont have a good way (especially right now on a plane and my work computer has no simulators installed…) to check if it is correct for R = 30, S=29. (It comes out to 1.311095094 e-13).

Looks pretty good for the 10-digit 41C, I get 1.31109509664e-13 in the 12-digit 71B.

PeterP Wrote:And given this is such a specific edge case of your wonderful problem I assume posting code and explanation here would not be in your spirit anyway.

On the contrary, go ahead with the 41C code, the more the merrier.

PeterP Wrote:However I wanted to thank you for a couple hours of respite from powerpoints with wonderful recreational math and programming and thinking, its been a loon time since I had this pleasure. And, as always, I learned a lot in the process, which is the most enjoyable part for me.

Wow, what can I say ... many thanks and I'm extremely glad you enjoyed it and even learned while dealing with it, that's the idea !

Fernando del Rey Wrote:But I am convinced that Valentin will show us a much cleverer and faster method to arrive at the correct solution.

You're such a good friend, Fernando, but let's not overhype my abilities lest disillusionment ensues, ok ? Wink

As a general remark, I'm somewhat mystified that no RPL solutions have been posted or even discussed so far. I know that writing RPL code adds an enormous layer of sheer incomprehensibleness to the task but still ... Smile

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability - Valentin Albillo - 10-13-2022 11:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)