The changing thickness of manuals
12-03-2022, 09:37 PM
RE: The changing thickness of manuals
I use calculator manuals in broadly 2 different ways. 1. To learn the model (or perhaps just some feature) and to either create and test programs or work some sample exercises, and 2. To lookup some specific feature or command, parameters, spelling, etc.

For the former, nothing beats a physical manual, preferably spiral-bound so it will sit flat while I press buttons and write code and numbers. HP's manuals up to the 41C/CV are the best of this type, with logical step-by-step build of the concepts, real-world examples, often humorous or clever character names, and worked out examples.

For the latter, a PDF searchable file with both Table of Contents and topical Index is absolutely the best choice as it allows rapid search, cross-reference and even print-out of specific sections if needed for more thoughtful study. These files can also go wherever you go on a laptop, thumb drive or phone. Often there are also large well thought-out and well-documented programs provided which can be easily copied and the downloaded into most machines, without having to key them in manually.

So, for me, the best answer is to have both types of manuals, whenever you can. You just can't be too prepared for HP encounters of all types...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The changing thickness of manuals - rprosperi - 12-03-2022 09:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)