RPN programming model survey
01-15-2023, 05:09 AM
RE: RPN programming model survey
(01-15-2023 02:45 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The 35s might be unique in that it not only allows "GTO LBL+line number" programming, but also has the "feature" of automatically renumbering all the line numbers after GTO's when program lines are inserted or deleted. That sounds nice, but it's actually a horrible idea, because if GTO Znnn is in the program, and you delete program line Znnn, the GTO now points to the wrong line (namely, what had been the line after Znnn before the edit). Every time I try to debug by trial and error on the 35s, the GTO's get all out of whack. Horrible idea.

Agreed. After being stung many times by wrongly renumbered GOTOs plus unreliable checsums and other nasty bugs, including unrecoverable locks ultimately resulting in losing all (hard-to-key-in) programs and wasting tons of my time, I gave up and tossed the HP-35s in a drawer, where it rests unused for the last 15 years. A pity, I initially liked it but its many important bugs and flaws ultimately killed it for me.

That's what happens when HP forgets about decent quality controls and further doesn't ever fix the bugs: what shoud have been a very nice calc goes down in shame, directly to oblivion. Another example woul be the "über-buggy, utterly unreliable toy", many of them also indefinitely gathering dust, but that's another story.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RPN programming model survey - brouhaha - 01-15-2023, 01:48 AM
RE: RPN programming model survey - Valentin Albillo - 01-15-2023 05:09 AM
RE: RPN programming model survey - Gene - 01-15-2023, 07:41 PM
RE: RPN programming model survey - DGM - 01-16-2023, 12:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)