DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
10-27-2023, 12:31 AM
RE: DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42
(10-26-2023 05:48 PM)Hans S. Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 09:57 PM)Helix Wrote:  I have to buy a Swissmicros calculator first, and it won't happen this year.

Here - with the Swiss-Micros calculators - is a very big problem for me personally. There are too many shortcomings for the machines to be fun. I confess that the DM 42 S was my entry into the HP world. It was followed by DM 10L, DM 11L, DM 15 L, DM 41L. Nowadays I wouldn't buy any Swiss-Micros calculator no more. The DM 10L had the well-known problem with spots on the display. Of course, the oven method didn't work. So it was given to the electronic scrap. In the meantime I have many HP originals, and with this experience My Swiss-Micros models are nightmarish. Keys that are so hard to press that you are tempted to pick up a hammer, the constant fear that something is not working properly or will fall off soon, and last but not least the horrible tactile feeling when touching them, especially bad with the DM 42 S; the centre of gravity is completely different to the HP-original, somehow it is a brick, where with the original the weight, surface texture and the response behaviour of the key are the cause of everlasting joy. The Frankenstein creations lie untouched in a box, actually I should throw them all away too. The broken money counts for nothing compared to the constant annoyance.

Best,

Hans

Wow, you've had unusually poor luck with SwissMicros' devices, I've not heard anyone having so many issues. Here's a couple easy suggestions if you are willing to get them working.

-- The early DM42 did indeed have hard-to-press and uneven keys, but this is easily resolved by replacing the keyboard foil, you can get one here:
https://www.swissmicros.com/product/dm42...with-domes

-- The oven heating technique has worked perfectly for every other person that I've read that has tried it, you probably should try again. Most were skeptical, but all agreed the process does work. It's possible yours was somehow not fixable that way, in which case you could have requested a new LCD, which almost certainly would have been provided. Did you contact Michael to note that you tried the oven process and it did not help?

But it sounds like you've decided they are poor devices and have no interest in getting them working. If you do decide to get rid of them, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands; I'll happily pay shipping to NY. Once in hand, I'll fix them and get them to people that would like to use them...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DB48X v0.4.8 is out - c3d - 10-22-2023, 11:31 PM
RE: DB48X: HP48-like RPL implementation for DM42 - rprosperi - 10-27-2023 12:31 AM
Release v0.5.0: Statistics and flags - c3d - 11-20-2023, 08:57 AM
v0.6.5: Minor bug fixes - c3d - 02-11-2024, 11:23 PM
Release 0.7.1 "Whip" - Bug fixes - c3d - 03-04-2024, 12:46 AM
DB48X v0.7.4 release is out - c3d - 04-14-2024, 03:05 PM
DB48X v0.7.6: Solving menu - c3d - Yesterday, 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)