Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear'
07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
RE: Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear'
Must have been one of those fabled 30,000 toilet seats Smile

One of the challenges with 3d printed parts is how to properly inspect them. Several years ago a colleague and I got to wondering about mm wave scanning of FDM prints. MM/microwave inspection is his field of expertise, and my job is more of building apparatus for various research labs.

I printed some samples with 100% infill, a.k.a. solid, except for intentional spherical voids of various sizes. I have attached a few slides from the presentation. Voids as small as 0.5mm were detected. The diagonal stripes were an artifact of the sling process. When it came to a void it would not 'jump over it', rather it would come back at the end and fill in all the missing sections behind the void. The strips are due to the difference in temperature of the previous layer over time, i.e. by the time it came back to fill in the sections skipped the previous layer had cooled slightly. Being able to see this was a surprise.

The ME department has also done research into how to test parts 3D printed out of stainless steel for military applications. Sort of like the toilet seat example some replacement parts are only needed in small quantities and some aerospace parts can be very expensive to make.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reproducing tiny plastic gears for vintage 'gear' - Jeff_Birt - 07-19-2023 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)