"The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth)
08-01-2023, 11:49 AM
RE: "The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth)
Hello!

(08-01-2023 08:33 AM)HP67 Wrote:  Yes, my Czech friends have many horror stories in addition to the ones I experienced.

Ah, OK, after readig the various replies I get the picture. This is not a "EU" problem, but mainly a Czech one. I have imported lots of stuff over the last decades into Gemany (also EU) without any major hassle or surcharges. As you write, the Chinese sellers (eBay, Aliexpress, Alibaba) now already collect the EU VAT in their country and usually charge nothing for shipping, so the packages usually arrive just as if they were sent from within the EU. For other non-EU countries like the US or Switzerland one had to go to the nearest customs offiice (in my case about 15km away) and pay the duties in person. Since many years this in-person collection is only necessary for very large shipments, the usual small stuff like our beloved calculators is processed by the customs office themselves within a few days and the VAT plus a very little surcharge (<5Euros) is collected by the postman upon delivery. As simple as it gets.

The only thing that drives me away from buying stuff from outside the EU are the atrociuos shipping charges. A small parcel, typical calculator size, can be shipped domestically and within the EU for less than 10 Euro. From Switzerland and the UK this is now closer to 30 Euros and from the US between 50 and 60, often more than the calculator itself is worth.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth) - Maximilian Hohmann - 08-01-2023 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)