Custom Text Formatting (Previously: Getting long results in a program)
04-01-2024, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2024 12:18 PM by komame.)
RE: Getting long results in Program
(04-01-2024 06:04 AM)Tyann Wrote:  Yes, I thought about it too, because I knew that you could use graphical instructions with ICON,
but indeed Tim and Cyrille advised against continuing to use it (no doubt a withdrawal was planned, perhaps to be checked with Jeff ).

Hello Tyann,

If a programmer says that TEXTOUT_P is deprecated (hypothetically) because a new function, SUPERTEXTOUT_P, has been created in its place, which does the same thing much faster but doesn't support color output (meaning text can only be output in black), does it mean that no one should use TEXTOUT_P anymore? It exactly means that if you use the TEXTOUT_P function and output text in black, you should replace it with SUPERTEXTOUT_P. However, if you need to output color, the new function can't do that, so you must resort to available solutions to achieve it. The same goes for ICON. The functionality of ICON has only been partially replaced by support for graphic files (png, jpg), but a solution that replaces it 100% hasn't been offered, so in certain situations, ICON cannot be avoided (until something in PPL is provided to fully replace it).
I had this thought that "Resources" which store image definitions (and they are stored in RAM) could be expanded, and the ability to modify them using graphic instructions could be added. Then it could be confidently said that ICON is "deprecated".

In the case of such a library with text-graphic functions that you are creating, I wouldn't have any concerns about using ICON, because it's simply needed here.

(04-01-2024 06:04 AM)Tyann Wrote:  On the other hand, you need a buffer of 330 pixels because of the offset you need to create for the angle (I used 10 to be wide).
I stamp the first three lines in the buffer at x=10, then the next three at x=9 etc...
then I do my TEXTOUT_P with x=10, then copy to the Gx in x starting with 10 then 9 and so on.

My example above only concerned displaying transparent text (just the simplest method to demonstrate ICON functionality in write mode), which is why I mentioned 320 pixels.

Piotr Kowalewski
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting long results in Program - komame - 04-01-2024 11:05 AM
RE: Custom Text Formatting - Tyann - 04-15-2024, 06:55 PM
RE: Custom Text Formatting - komame - 04-15-2024, 07:42 PM
RE: Custom Text Formatting - Tyann - 04-16-2024, 04:38 AM
RE: Custom Text Formatting - komame - 04-16-2024, 06:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)