WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution
10-22-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution
(10-22-2014 01:10 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 10:51 PM)patrice Wrote:  Take the HP-15C: The single indirection swap in the inner loop imply a mostly 33% overhead. For you, I don't know, but for me, it is NOT MINOR.
30% seems a lot for anybody. When I watched your presentation, I understood that 30% was also including all your other optimizations. But each model will have a different impact. I'm with you, if the difference is 30%, it's not minor by any means.
The inner loop is 20 steps, when optimized, it is only 15 steps.
15/20= 0.75= 1 -25% : it saves 25% in the inner loop
20/15=1.33= 1 +33% : this is 33% overhead for the inner loop

(10-22-2014 01:10 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  But each model will have a different impact. I'm with you, if the difference is 30%, it's not minor by any means. But on other models I don't think that it will be a big impact. If I remember correctly for the C/Regvars, the change in speed was less than 10%, and that included disabling all compiler optimizations, not just that indirection.
All RPN models are using the same kind of technology and the impact will be essentially the same. What are you comparing the C/Regvars with ?

(10-22-2014 01:10 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 10:51 PM)patrice Wrote:  It just append that a benchmark IS a competition about being the fastest
What I meant is the goals are different. The objective of the benchmark is not to compete, but to measure and compare. People try to compete (naturally), but that's not what the benchmark is about.
On the benchmark you try to eliminate the user factor (to compare machines). On the competition the user factor is all that matters (it's who does it faster).
What can be the meaning of a comparison when one of the compared thing can be 40% faster? I think the only thing it show is that both can solve the problem.

I think that it is by showing people efficient programing technics that you will teach to use them
If you have the knowledge that lists are slow on RPL, you are free to find another way to solve the problem.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
IMPROVED 30% over previous post - iceman - 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: WP-34S N-Queens Benchmark Based on Patrice Torchet's BITMAP Solution - patrice - 10-22-2014 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)