HP-19BII Business Consultant II for 20 Euros?
10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: HP-19BII Business Consultant II for 20 Euros?
(10-17-2014 01:59 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  If we are buying something from someone we either know or we are doing the transaction in person, then we become concerned about whether we are cheating the person out of the item (by offering too low a price).

But if we won the same item for the same low price in an ebay auction, then we would thank our lucky stars and not think twice about the seller. Likewise, if we bought the item at a yard sale/flea market/second-hand store for the same low price, then, again, we would think we are very lucky to get it at such a low price.

Thanks, Bill.

I do not know the seller, this is a local "ebay style" portal where people post their 2nd hand stuff.
I have been cheated by some sellers, asking moderately high prices for equipment that are advertized as "fully functional", only to find out that it is faulty after delivery.
I never complain in these situations, and never return the goods.
I just have a black list of these sellers, so next time I have to be cautious with them.
This is a matter of luck and chance to me.

But I consider myself as a decent person, and because this time I will meet the seller in person, I will have the opportunity to evaluate the goods before making a better offer, although this is a strange situation where the seller ask you a price and you offer more!
Normally we do business in the other way around...
One danger here is that the seller may think you are cheating him when you offer more. I explain. He/she can start thing like this:
Wait a minute, I ask 20, this guy offers me 30, it means I should have asked a minimum of 60! But now it is too late! Damn!

So in the end, you pay more for something that is valuable and the seller will be really upset with himself.
I don't know how to deal with this, really.

But I will let you know after tomorrow Smile

(10-17-2014 03:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  My advice is you should not take advantage of the seller's lack of knowledge. You should send me his/her contact info and I would be glad to contact him/her to explain in detail... Wink

Really, just buy it and be thankful. Maybe offer 25 out of generosity. It's quite a nice machine, with the good solver, etc.

Thanks, Bob.

Your services offer is appreciated, Thank you, but I have to pass this time, as tomorrow I will meet the seller in person Smile

Ok, this time I will have the chance to test the equipment first, check the package contents, and then I will pay accordingly.
My guess is that the user guides alone are worth like 10 Euro, even if it are in Portuguese.
Depending on the sellers attitude/profile and depending on how the talking goes, I may give her (seller is a lady) more money for the calculator.
The last thing I want is to cheat anyone, of course.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-19BII Business Consultant II for 20 Euros? - jebem - 10-17-2014 08:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)