HP-IL with HP 82163A Video Interface
11-13-2023, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2023 06:56 PM by floppy.)
RE: HP-IL with HP 82163A Video Interface
(11-12-2023 10:45 AM)murphy9 Wrote:  Whilst waiting for some level controllers to arrive from China, to follow the work that folks are doing with the RPI Pico I wondered how we control the displays (OLED or VGA/HMI etc) is the 'easiest' thing to 'virtualise' the HP-IL Video Interface within the Pico and then use the Pico to drive a display, such as an OLED (or in extreme a VGA/HDMI).

Or do we use some microcode calls to create the functions to paint pixels on a screen?

All "above my paygrade" at the moment, but I thought this older thread might inspire some ideas around the ultiimate goal of giving the 41c a proper graphics capability. Perhaps the commands on the 48 or Prime is a possiblity for the graphing commands.

The obvious question is why not just use a Prime instead - well it's the same answer as why not an iphone. "Because" - because we like to push this 40 year plus device beyond anything it's original architects thought possible.

#blackjetrock
#ThomasF
#MeindertKuipers

Can de achieved straight
a) Use a PI2 and install according https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-19053.html
b) Connect an HDMI to the PI2 (in the thread above the whole system is installed in the PI2 but as long no HDMI is connected, you will not see it)
.. Done
- you will see the ILVIDEO80 screen of https://hp.giesselink.com/hpil.htm
- the system is a PILBOX + PI2..or3/4 + Screen via HDMI (or not if only access to the virtual drive is the target)
- nothing to screw, solder,.. just a calibration of a quite standard system PI2/3/3 (look at eBay or others) + PILBOX ( JF Garnier ) + HP71B or HP41

Update: since I have interest to review/check the whole installation procedure again, if you want to have a virtual and/or a Video80 at the HDMI of a PI,
- send me a PI2..3..4 (in an housing; thats easier)
- A SD card for boot 16G
- an USB for Virtual drive storage
I can make the install (or 2..) and send back the stuff.

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-IL with HP 82163A Video Interface - floppy - 11-13-2023 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)