How to autoscale a shape?
12-30-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2014 03:22 PM by Han.)
RE: How to autoscale a shape?
(12-30-2014 01:48 PM)Giancarlo Wrote:  Hello,
I just completed a program that outputs some points that i'd like to draw on a GROB (or whatever name we'd like to call them in the PRIME :+)).

Let's say that i do not have the control of the range of these numbers before the output.

How can i autoscale these numbers in order to represent them on a plane?
I found a scale factor for the X range and then a scale factor for the Y range but I loose the height/width ratio of the drawing.

Which is the right procedure to find a scale factor for both X and Y axis maintaining the correct ratio between the two axis?

Thanks

Giancarlo

The HP Prime's screen is 320:240 = 4:3. Suppose your X values are in \( [a,b] \) and your Y values are in \( [c,d] \). You can either keep the X-range at \( [a,b] \) and then scale the Y-range to
\[ \left[ \frac{c+d}{2}- \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{3}{4}(b-a)\right), \frac{c+d}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{3}{4}(b-a)\right) \right]. \]
Or you can keep the Y-range at \( [c,d] \) and scale the X-range
\[ \left[ \frac{a+b}{2}- \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{4}{3}(d-c)\right), \frac{a+b}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{4}{3}(d-c)\right) \right]. \]
I purposely left the math unsimplified so you can check the derivation yourself. The decision as to which axis to scale can be made by determining whether \( \frac{3}{4}(b-a) > (d-c) \). That way, you will maintain the 4:3 ratio and ensure that all points are displayed.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How to autoscale a shape? - Giancarlo - 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
RE: How to autoscale a shape? - Han - 12-30-2014 03:21 PM
RE: How to autoscale a shape? - Giancarlo - 12-30-2014, 06:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)