Prime lags after extensive processing
03-14-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing
(03-14-2015 08:16 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  to bobkrohn:
In an other thread you mentioned, that you contacted the support from HP about your problems. If i remember correctly, they asked you to send your (complete) programs / data, whatever your doing with your prime.
Tim has written, that the programs will be sent to him for analyzing.

Did you send them the requested informations?
- If so, did you get answers?
- If not, why not?
Maybe you're doing something very unusual with your prime, .. but nobody knows!
It's not the prime itself, its the prime and your use cases.
Without using, without programming, there are no problems, i suspect.

It is not likely that anyone who has problems with the Prime exactly does things that you do. Please give HP the chance to help you.

"It is not likely that anyone who has problems with the Prime exactly does things that you do."
Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that.

Talked by phone to Tech Support on 2/24/2015
I sent him the sample "MyNote" source code with instructions on how to replicate the misbehavior. I did the same on this Forum.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-318...ight=notes

I only just heard back from HP (Tim Wessman) yesterday (Friday 3/14/2015)
I have no way of knowing what "typical" turn around time is on these things.
That was because, Tim Wessman apparently, very kindly, took a personal interest.
I resent the above information to him just a few days ago.
He said that, YES, there IS a problem on the Prime, with Notes as I had stated.
He thought he had identified where the problem is

I said, I hope it's not like when you take your car in to the mechanic and he says,
"I believe I’ve identified where the problem is, it's the nut behind the steering wheel"

(just in case... that is a pun, a joke. Not sure if it translates out of English)

I have no more info at this time. I assume (and hope) Tim is enjoying a his weekend off. I'm doing the same.

.... Of course part of that playing with the Prime.

PS
The issue above is with Notes not the Spreadsheet.
I am also making the Spreadsheet a huge part of my larger program.
So far, no issues with the Spreadsheet itself.
Notes is key as it seems to be the only way to easily get data in/out of the Spreadsheet.
I am writing/reading .CSV files.
Even though the Spreadsheet provides for 10,000 Rows (for me Records), I don't think it has the ability to actually, practically deal with that.
I tried reading in large .CSV files (6 Columns per Row) as an experiment and it seemed that about 3,000-4,000 was the limit. The Prime choked. (not a technical term)
In my App don't really NEED 10,000 records but it's SO nice to have 10,000 valid "addresses" to store records in. Allows for grouping data.
Really amazing for this compact device. On HP-41 was thrilled to have 800 storage registers.
The prime has (I think, don't know for sure) about 16MB memory but have gathered that there is a lot of behind the scenes "overhead" that can eat it up.
Per a post on this Forum
"There is 32MB of RAM of which approximate half is free on a clean boot. "
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing - bobkrohn - 03-14-2015 10:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)