Prime lags after extensive processing
03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing
Cyrille, your post was a bit shocking, perhaps you need to rethink a few cases of unfortunate wording. I read it and here's what I saw in it (my impression only, but perhaps other people saw it that way too). BTW, starting with a disclaimer doesn't make it any better. I thought you were being sarcastic, but your disclaimer says otherwise...

(03-16-2015 07:59 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  To get back to the tool analogy, it might be that you are trying to sink a screw with a hammer, and are frustrated because it does not work well. Banging harder does seem to get the screw in, but it does not hold well in the wood.

This sounds to me like Steve Jobs famous "you're holding it wrong".
He bought a programmable device and is... well... programming it!
I've done lots of surveying calculations. Nothing special, lots of numbers and trig, it's basic number crunching and perfectly suited for a pocket calculator and also for a spreadsheet. It's one of the most common "professional" applications of calculators. From recent posts, we were all given the impression that HP was going to market the Prime for professional use as well.
He bought a device with plenty of power and RAM to handle 3000 numbers and a few trig functions (back in the day, Lotus 123 on DOS with a 386-PC and 4MB of ram would have no problem with 3000 numbers, the Prime hardware is way more capable than that).
Nothing in the marketing materials from HP would suggest this is not the right tool, I would've chosen it too.

(03-16-2015 07:59 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  The question is: now what?
- Keep banging, after all it kinds of work, even if every once in a while it break the hammer (prime in this case)...
- Switch to a nail, or a screwdriver (but Prime might NOT have such items, leaving you with no alternatives)
- Discover glue?

Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like:
a) Deal with it
b) Buy a different device/calculator
c) Learn how to build your own device

I know it seems taken out of context here, but even within the context of the original post that's what I thought you meant. Neither of the 3 options are going to drive HP sales up, and sound a bit harsh to the users.

I believe this is not how you want people to interpret your post, so I'm posting this to give you a chance to express your real thoughts, without being masqueraded with analogies, humor or anything that can lead to misinterpretations.

Claudio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing - Claudio L. - 03-16-2015 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)