Portable Plus - Additional RAM
03-23-2015, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 06:49 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
RE: Portable Plus - Additional RAM
[/color][/php][/code]
(03-20-2015 02:05 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  An EPROM set of two 512 kBit EPROMs only provides 128kByte. I guess Turbo C 1.5 command line version needs a lot more? A zip file of your config would be nice to have.

Michael,

for a minimum Turbo C 1.5 installation on the Portable Plus I use the directory structure listed below.

Command line tools are best driven using a Makefile. Alternatively a batch file could be constructed.

With my memory setup (about 400 KB RAM, rest for RAM disc) the compiler reports about 15 kB free, so that large files may not compile. However, programs can be broken inth smaller units, which is better programming style anyway. The linker does not need much memory, he reports something like 150kB free.

The path must contain A:\TC so that the system can find make, compiler and linker.

The best is to install TC on a DOS machine, DOSBox or VirtualBox first and then copy the desired files to a diskette for transfer to the Portable Plus.

The following list contains only the files as needed for compiling applications using the SMALL memory model. More memory models could be added/replaced as needed. Just add/replace them in the LIB directory.

The whole installation requires almost 400kB of the RAM disc. The largest file is the compiler TCC.EXE weighing a hefty 171 KB. One could possible compress the compiler with some tool like "diet" - I have not tried this.
Update: 24-MAR-2015: The attached ZIP archive now contains the executables compressed with LZ (from the 1991 The Portable Paper disc) which shrunk them considerably. They would now even fit into a 128 KB ROM

Martin
Code:

A:\TC
    tcc.exe        (the compiler)
    tlink.exe    (the linker)
    make.exe    (the make utility, not needed if batch files are used to compile/link)
    touch.com    (not needed but handy to set timestamp of files)

A:\TC\INCLUDE
    alloc.h
    assert.h
    bios.h
    conio.h
    ctype.h
    dir.h
    dos.h
    errno.h
    fcntl.h
    float.h
    io.h
    limits.h
    math.h
    mem.h
    process.h
    setjmp.h
    share.h
    signal.h
    stdarg.h
    stddef.h
    stdio.h
    stdlib.h
    string.h
    time.h
    values.h    

A:\TC\INCLUDE\SYS
    stat.h

A:\TC\LIB
    cs.lib        (C library for [s]mall memory model)
    maths.lib    (math library for [s]mall memory model)
    c0s.obj        (startup code for [s]mall memory model)
    emu.lib        (math emulator, no x87 coprocessor anyway)

A:\TC\WORK
    your source files, Makefiles etc.

Attached File(s)
.zip  TC.zip (Size: 191.89 KB / Downloads: 17)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portable Plus - Additional RAM - Martin Hepperle - 03-23-2015 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)