Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
03-23-2015, 08:29 PM
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
The Edison is a nice little module and is certainly very interesting for many embedded applications. I specifically like the fact that it is x86-compatible. However, I don't think it is particularly well suited for a calculator, even a high-tech one. While multi-threading is nice and some algorithms can profit from it, it is hardly essential in a calculator to require hardware support for it. The Edison provides a compound processor with three cores, two Atoms running at 500 MHz and one Quark running at 100 MHz. One of them would be enough to accomplish the task. Also, we don't need 1 GB DRAM in a calculator. 32 MB would be more than enough.
Of course, noone would complain about it, if it could be had for "free", but there's always a trade-off. I see a general tendency to prioritize higher speed over lower power consumption, but I don't consider it particularly wise. There are applications, where speed is necessary, but in a calculator? Also, the most common reason for lack of speed today is not missing processor power but inefficient coding.
I for one would hate to change or recharge batteries every couple of days, as much as I hate to recharge my phone every couple of days. In fact, from a tool like a calculator I expect that it will be available without taking care of it all the time, that it will effectively run for at least half a year on a single charge (ideally much longer) under normal use. Therefore, in my opinion, a load current of about 100 mA at 8V is unacceptable for this kind of application.

Therefore, the Intel Quark X1000 series appears to be a better, although still not ideal choice for a calculator. Running at 400 MHz, they have 512 KB SRAM onboard. Unfortunately, the Intel Galileo board, which features such a processor, is too large and contains alot of other stuff not needed in a calculator, thereby increasing the power consumption again, but the processor is also available as a stand-alone chip in low quantities, so it could be used in own "Edison-like" designs (although not everybody will be able to cope with the BGA package).

Intel even announced another Quark variant for the forthcoming Intel Curie module recently - this SoC will come with only 80 KB SRAM and 384 KB flash, but yet lower power consumption. The Curie would be suitable for something like a direct 34S successor, but may be too small for a 43S already.

However, given that Intel is just starting to enter this market segment, it appears likely that they will bring out more Quark variants in the next couple of years... It's certainly worth keeping an eye on this.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal - matthiaspaul - 03-23-2015 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)