negative number raised to even power
05-07-2015, 09:25 PM
RE: negative number raised to even power
(05-07-2015 08:13 PM)DrD Wrote:  We may just have to live with a dual definition for the value of -2^2, since there is rationale on either side of the argument. It may be that the definition might just 'turn' when the context is made clear: computer science (man/machine technology), or fundamental mathematics, the written legacy. It's sort of unfortunate that the computer science approach isn't universally applied across all applicable computing technologies, or that mathematics isn't able to accommodate changeable rules, and still arrive at the one correct result!

If a mathematician is reading an expression on paper he must parse the expression according to the rules for parsing in mathematics the same way as a compiler or CAS parser has to evaluate the expression. If this rules are ambiguous they must be refined.

For the C/C++ language expressions the rules are unambiguous.

What about the complex number 2i+2. It is just a number, but to my knowledge it must be written with parenthesis when used in an expression (2i+2)^2, like (-2)^2, otherwise it would be interpreted as imaginary number 2i + (2^2). There might be a rule for omitting parenthesis that a minus sign, not preceded by another number, is the unary minus operator, but this cannot be decided by an opinion, it must be officially defined.

Does anybody know, whether an international committee (something like the mathematical royal society) has defined standardized rules for mathematical expressions when parenthesis are omitted, or did they allow the calculator manufacturers to define the rules?

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
negative number raised to even power - DrD - 04-25-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: negative number raised to even power - PANAMATIK - 05-07-2015 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)