did anyone ever program in RPG?
12-23-2017, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 01:29 PM by Gilles59.)
RE: did anyone ever program in RPG?
(07-02-2015 06:03 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I'm wondering if anyone here ever programmed in RPG. Of the three languages I studied in 1968 I remember RPG was my least favorite; assembler was my most favorite. You couldn't write an RPG program on just regular paper, it required about 4 or 5 specific types of coding forms as I recall. It was not a procedural programming language like FORTRAN and COBOL. I could see that it might be useful in certain simple file-processing applications, but looking back on all the programs I wrote in my career, I doubt that RPG would have been especially useful in any of them.

I think I consider RPG similar to HTML in that if you use them, you're not a "real" programmer.

Any thoughts?

Up... Oh Yes ! I programmed in RPG in my first job en 1985 on a IBM36. In France the langage was named"GAP". I never studied this at school but it was very easy to learn. I must say I hated this at the beginning, it looks for me like an incredibly archaic thing ;D. I continued with RPL on the IBM AS400 but the new versions of RPL on AS00 had not many things in common with the older versions. In the 1990's I remenber that I wroted some programs to generate automatically the RPG code because I was boried to write always the same kinds of program
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: did anyone ever program in RPG? - Gilles59 - 12-23-2017 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)