What Was Your First Programming Language?
07-09-2015, 02:09 PM
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language?
(07-09-2015 12:57 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 07:36 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  Turbo Pascal subsequently introduced a number of extensions that solved some of the problems, but were contrary to the spirit of the language.
(...)
Turbo Pascal was an incredible product and hugely influential in its time - a lot of popular applications were written in it, and still are, using derivatives like Delphi (...)

This begs the question: How many if us actually use a programming language that adheres to the "official" language definitions and that did not have a single extension to the official definition? And how many of us restrained ourselves from using those language extensions in our programs?

Borland Turbo Pascal, along with Turbo C, were two of my preferred programming environments when I used to develop small hardware projects to interface to the IBM PC-DOS.

Both were very efficient when creating structured programs, while at the same time it allowed to include inline Assembly code to reach the low level interface and direct system calls when required.
Otherwise for better control, code compactness and efficiency, I would just switch to the standard Microsoft 8086 Macro Assembler.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was Your First Programming Language? - jebem - 07-09-2015 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)