newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
10-03-2015, 11:08 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(10-03-2015 06:15 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 01:22 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  - For regression and stress testing against the HP 48 or HP 50 implementation or to allow deliberately working with a particular CODATA set [...]
I think it's a great suggestion, but perhaps not for the core system.
[...]
I think third party developers can create "unit packs" and publish them, that would override the units with older (or newer) CODATA values. The command 2014 CODATA you proposed could very well be the main command of such unit pack.
This sounds like a perfect solution in my opinion. It even ensures "future compatibility", which is important as there seem to be several changes ahead in the next couple of years.

(10-03-2015 01:22 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  - The 50g and Prime do not define the same set of predefined units. Wouldn't it be useful to add the units defined by the Prime to newRPL as well to make switching between different calculators and implementations easier and to improve the level of "future" compatibility somewhat?
I haven't seen any docs like the AUR listing all the units supported by the Prime, with their definitions. Do you have any pointers for me? (I don't own a Prime).
Like you, I could not find a list of supported units in the Prime's manuals (only a list of physical constants), but if you like the idea of adding the "missing" units, a list could be derived manually by us.

(10-03-2015 01:22 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  (BTW perhaps adding a TURN mode as well to the ToDo list?)
What is a TURN mode? An angular unit where 1 unit = 2*pi radians?
Yes, exactly. In TURN mode, ASIN(1) results in 0.25, just like it results in 90 in DEG mode, 100 in GRAD mode or 1.57... in RAD mode. The basic idea behind it is that if the source or target representation isn't in any of the three traditional units in some kind of technical solution, why not work with a "neutral" unit (full circle = 1 turn)? Saves a step in ad-hoc conversions. I had implemented this in a software calculator a long time ago and found it to be intuitive and quite useful in practise. See:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-449...l#pid40343

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - matthiaspaul - 10-03-2015 11:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)