newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
03-02-2017, 12:12 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
(03-01-2017 08:22 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  First of all, *NEVER* apologize for expressing a valid opinion. I value everybody's input, whether they like or dislike what I did, and I acknowledge that this forum will always be very averse to change, understandably being a "museum".
As a matter of fact, I'm thinking now that the correct approach would be:
* Keep the string because it will make *new* programs more portable across devices, and code in general much easier to understand.
* Add 2 commands to convert rc.p format to string and vice versa, so if you are porting userRPL code to newRPL, all you have to do is add RCP->KEYCODE right after every WAIT. (the command name might vary, suggestions welcome). These 2 commands will have a conversion table rc <-> key_name that will have to change from device to device.

BTW, I am effectively using the string for all cases, including key assignments, wouldn't be consistent if I don't.

I was apologizing for not having read the thread carefully enough to get that the conversation was about WAIT, not for the opinion (fortunately the correct one Wink ) though I guess it turns out the context being discussed really did include all cases of key code use.

It's possible the string system will become intuitive, only use will tell that for sure, but I'm glad you've decided to include the conversion commands. For ASN and STOKEYS, how about allowing both formats? Neither of these commands is time-sensitive, so the impact of determining which style (string or rc.p) to use (by peeking at the 2nd argument) will have no real effect other than to be more flexible. In such case, it's reasonable to require the full STOKEYS list use only 1 type of key code. RCLKEYS is less important (for me) so the default format of output (strings) is fine.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - rprosperi - 03-02-2017 12:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)