HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
07-07-2022, 04:47 AM
RE: HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
(07-06-2022 10:50 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  
(07-06-2022 07:18 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Remember to import the MOD files from the USB FAT drive into flash before plugging them in the "Active Modules" list...
It's now working as it should. Thanks for your efforts.
Good to hear the issue is solved.

(07-06-2022 10:50 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  I've noticed some discrepancies in the Martin McClure mass key assignment/overlay but I'll report these once I've collated them. I've noticed over time that with new revisions to your Rom's, it's possible that the documentation isn't always updated to reflect the revision changes so it's possible that the discrepancies in the USR key assignments are due to undocumented revisions.
Those "discrepancies are to be expected because the overlay reflects the 16C launcher layout, not the mass-keys arrangements. The launcher has more functions and subfunctions that cannot be included in the mass-keys.. This forces compromises in the selection of keyboard placement for the mass-keys choices.

(07-06-2022 10:50 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  On the subject on the mass key assignments, it's still my view that it's wrong that the mass key assignment trigger doesn't exist in the primary bank. This means it can only be triggered via XEQ+ or via 16C (followed by Alpha) and then typing out 16KEYS.
I disagree with you, it's not wrong but a conscious decision to prioritize the (complete) 16C launcher over the (incomplete) mass-keys approach. Besides, the main FAT is full so if the trigger function were placed in the main FAT something else would have to be moved to the auxiliary FAT. Which one would you be willing to give away? Would that one be the same chosen by all users? At the end it becomes a matter of personal preferences - like much in the U/I design field.

(07-06-2022 10:50 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  The sum result of this is that the user can't assign 16KEYS to the DM41x CST menu (which is something I do with SandMath's MKEYS and 41Z's ZK?YN mass key assignment triggers). I'm aware you optimise your ROM's for use without mass key assignments but when all ones regular use case mass key assignments are assigned via CST single trigger keys, it's makes for a very powerful way to hop around many key features across all ones loaded ROM's. And this makes the DM41X feel like a single calculator rather than a calculator with an assortment of ROM's. It's a subtle UX quality, but it's one that means that my DM41x is my most used non RPL HP calculator (and your MCODE conversions of key functions across your ROM's means that I rarely feel limited by 10 visible significant digits).

I understand your predicament, using the module on the DM-41X loses the benefit of the overlay and the keyboard layout is not identical to the original 41C which causes confusion. For you the mass-keys option is understandably preferred - but maybe this is just an initial situation that will change as you get more acquainted with the 16C launcher and rip the benefits of having the sub-functions also available from there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available - Ángel Martin - 07-07-2022 04:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)