[Prime] Suggestion for a few easy to implement usability enhancements
09-13-2015, 08:08 PM
RE: [Prime] Suggestion for a few easy to implement usability enhancements
(09-07-2015 11:04 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  - If the backspace button ("<x|") is pressed (shifted or normal) while the input line is completely empty already, it should recall previous contents of the input line and place the cursor at the end of that line (similar to what the HP 20b and HP 30b do in this situation). Again, this would not affect existing functionality at all, just extend behaviour.
I have to slightly correct myself here: Using the backspace key to delete a previously non-empty input line, the HP 20b and 30b will not recall the previous contents of the input line once the input line is completely empty, but the contents of the X register (lowest stack level) with full internal precision (regardless of any display modes, which might have previously truncated the display value). If you would continue to press backspace, these calculators would start to delete the freshly recalled input line from the right to left again, and so on. So, if you'd happen to delete too much, you get another chance. In exactly the same situation, the Prime (and the 50g) does nothing.

On the Prime there are other means to edit the lowest stack register (f.e. Cursor-up followed by Enter), that's why I suggest to recall the previous input line instead in the described situation (as an intuitive shortcut for Shift + Paste + Enter).

Sidenote: I was astonished I could not find this backspace key behaviour documented in the 20b/30b manual. It just says: "To correct a number entry, press the backspace key. Each press of backspace erases the last digit or symbol you entered", leaving open what happens if the entry line is empty. Is this really undocumented, or did I miss it somewhere in the document? Which other Entry RPN calculators behave in a similar way?

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Prime] Suggestion for a few easy to implement usability enhancements - matthiaspaul - 09-13-2015 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)