HP50g : Symbolic solver oddities or user errors?
11-09-2015, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 11:52 PM by Vtile.)
RE: HP50g : Symbolic solver oddities or user errors?
(11-09-2015 12:40 AM)Bill Platt Wrote:  It is somewhat dejavu for me, this question of yours. We went rather exhaustively through these discusssions, right here, back in the beginning of the 21st century. Back then the new device for putting emulators to work was the Palm. How things change.
I thought it were the 49 which were emulating a Saturn ( I can remember a mate had a Sega Saturn when I were a kid). Wink There is still a Radio around, while TV were killing it for a fact. So are the LP records and Longines mechanical wrist watches.

(11-09-2015 12:40 AM)Bill Platt Wrote:  I will note that my professional use of calculators has fallen steadily over the past 15 years. Ironically in the years when I depended on one, I had only one (11c) and now that I really don't need one at all, I have over 20 of them...and they sit in a box most of the time.

The 48G series in the collection still sees use though. Mostly for the mere fact that it is fantastic for number doodling with that long stack. The 15c and 20s get lots of use too. My 27s is my all time favorite. But, lately I've left it idle too much.

Some of this is just how work is going. Only 5 years ago 27S got lots of use. Flying half way around the world repeatedly, doing engineering, the calculators and a pad of paper were great. The laptops would die too fast and it is too cramped.

In the office, the tools at your fingertips on the confuser are just too good now.
It is changing not arguing that. What really grind my gears is that engineer at age of about 30 I can not have a decent modern professional engineering pocket calculator, nope (not even if I would be willing to pay for one since there is none!). The only ones are these brick sized battleship class calculators which were considered small when they were new in line "The RPL Family (1986)" I were on diapers back then ffs. My field is industrial automation and electrical (EE WIP) engineering and for those disiplines the HP50g fits the bill with lots of programmability and I know it can handle most if not any problem I can encounter when in field or in day to day when everything goes haywire, but it is so .. you know .. big. Like every other "modern CAS programmables" they are like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ_g_OI04pc the mighty 50 will end in a drawer or sitting on my desk, no way I will carry it around, it needs a briefcase its own. While it would be 100% doable to make it fit in my front pocket (button closed) with all of its functionalities (only with smaller keyboard and hair smaller display with 131x80 pixels), even with the ARM9 processor, I'm sure even more so if the OS would be blackboxed to run natively at ARM. But all that would be a miracle. HP is great It just had and still have that engineer weaponmaker status, for two reasons exceptional calculators and exceptional measuring devices. One is gone (keysight these days), will another survive the time, hopefully since if not there is just nothing worth to mention. Sad

Even the "appstores" are not a new thing, that basicly existed in late 1970 era of HP calculators, based on the few words thrown out by the one designer of the Voyager series in that HP collectors event I come across in youtube.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP50g : Symbolic solver oddities or user errors? - Vtile - 11-09-2015 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)