Definite integration yields a strange answer. (Solved)
11-14-2015, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2015 03:24 PM by Vtile.)
RE: Definite integration yields a strange answer. (Sufficiently Explained)
(11-13-2015 10:28 PM)pwarmuth Wrote:  It's this kind of stuff that bothers me about this CAS.

You already give me the option of whether or not I want complex answers in the options menu! Then the calculator goes and ignores what I told it to do because it's been programmed to give different answers depending on how you ask the question. It is not immediately obvious that the calculator should behave this way, and for a student this is frustrating.

Also, I must point out that my TI nspire CX CAS does not behave this way. I know it's blasphemy to bring that up in this forum, but that calculator is the competition and it's less confusing to use its CAS. With graphing it's way behind, but how often do I really need to graph something? Not everyone using this calculator is coming from a background with the classic HP calculators. Not everyone knows the NTHROOT command. I shouldn't have to dig into forums and write a PHD thesis on giac/Xcas to get it to output what I want when there is an explicit option for it in the CAS settings. I've also been taught to rewrite these problems with fractional exponents before performing anti-differentiation, and I gave it to the calculator in that format. That output was surprising and unexpected, and just cost me an hour of my time trying to find an answer. I find that to be rather typical with this CAS, and it shouldn't be. I have to reach for my TI far too often, and I'd rather not.
*Applauses*

PS. There should be somesort of "tooltip" behaviour build in on these, to note user that "Hey you are making this at this way, but did you know that there also the another route." Man forgets (or is still on route to undertand), in my case I read the subject of antiderivatives etc. at systematical way some 8 years ago and hardly used them after, man forgets if not use activitely. It would be nice that calculator does not. Wink

PPS. I speak about the implementation for HP calcs, not giac/Xcas as general, the audience is different or atleast much broader with handheld calculator than scientific CAS library on PC / mainframe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Definite integration yields a strange answer. (Sufficiently Explained) - Vtile - 11-14-2015 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)