Doing Math in Different Language
11-20-2015, 11:36 PM
RE: Doing Math in Different Language
While we mentally resolve maths using our mother language, mathematics is an example of a universal language, if you accept Latin characters as being "universal" (well, it is universal at least in the Occident anyway).

But, unfortunately for us occidentals, Latin alphabet is not the universal world standard, as there are other strong competitors like Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew and Chinese among others, and this creates a barrier when trying to read a book written in those alphabets and languages.

There are other universal languages in different fields, be it pure science or technological ones.
As I see it, the essence behind all things is pure logic. Logic thinking is common among all human cultures, independently of the mother language or alphabet, and this lead us to tell that mathematics is a universal language.

For instance, in electrical engineering a schematics diagram is instantaneously recognized and more or less understood by anyone in the field, independently of the used language or alphabet.

Again, the used alphabet and language will create obstacles to fully understand the message.

I remember too well my first contact with a Russian professional navigation system´s service guide more than 35 years ago.
At the time I knew nothing about Russian language or Cyrillic, but I could understood most of the schematics contents to be able to do my job, only needing assistance to translate some text parts.
Later on, after learning the Cyrillic alphabet, I was much more confident when consulting the Russian technical guides, as the electrical and physic units are basically the same in Latin and in Cyrillic, but written on a different alphabet.

Just my 2 Cents anyway.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doing Math in Different Language - jebem - 11-20-2015 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)