need help with pin outs for ADM3202 chip please
01-26-2014, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 04:23 AM by Paul Berger (Canada).)
RE: need help with pin outs for ADM3202 chip please
(01-26-2014 12:09 AM)Bruce Larrabee Wrote:  I am building a RS-232 cable because I don't NEED USB and don't currently have a FTDI board. I DO have a serial port (my machine is not that old just fully featured). Is there any reason that I MUST build a USB cable?

You guys in no way answered my question. I have been all over this site and sourceforge and the manuals. This info is not in any of the places I've looked and that includes your suggestions.

I know the port pin outs. That is why I didn't ask for them. Referring me to a page showing them doesn't help.

Now could someone PLEASE answer my question:

I'm building a programming cable for the w34s. Can anyone tell me which signals to connect to the ADM3202 chips pins 11,12,13 and 14.

Thanks again.

You can get a data sheet for the ADM3202 at http://www.analog.com/en/interface-isola...oduct.html click on Acrobat logo beside the words "Data Sheet" the data sheet includes a pinout of the chip.

As per pinout in the datasheet the Adm3202 is a 18 pin DIP or SSOP package that provides two channels in either direction however you only need one in each direction. The TxIN pins (11 & 10) expect a TTL/CMOS signal and convert it to a RS-232 signal on the corresponding TxOUT pin (14 & 7). The RxIN pins (13 & 8) expects a RS-232 level signal and convert it to TTL/CMOS on the corresponding RxOUT pins (12 & 9). So we only need one channel in each direction so and example would be on the calculator side connect pin 2 Tx0 would go to 11 (10) and pin 1 Rx0 to 12 (9) so now on the chip we would have RS-232 level Tx on pin 14 (7) and Rx on pin 13 (8) ( Pin numbers in brackets are the alternate channel on the chip) The RS-232 level Tx would be connected to Rx on your computers RS-232 port and the Rx connected to the computers Tx pin.

One other thing does your "FTDI board" put out RS-232 level signals? I have one here with a FT232RL chip on it and that chip outputs CMOS/TTL level signals at programmable levels one option is 3.3V suitable for direct connection to the WP34S. To provide RS-232 level signals this chip would have to feed a level convertor such as the ADM3202 or a MAX232.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: need help with pin outs for ADM3202 chip please - Paul Berger (Canada) - 01-26-2014 03:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)