Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader
01-05-2016, 09:30 PM
RE: Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader
Thank you all for your tips and suggestions!

The picture shows one of the PCBs in the card reader, not in the 9100. And as quantalume noticed, there seem to be two defective resistors (or inductors?).

Furthermore, as Paul already wrote, the 9160A takes its power directly from the Model 9100 calculator, it has no power supply.

I've taken some more pictures so that you have a better idea of what the device is made of. I've also opened the connector so I can try to follow the wires from the connector to the PCBs. Actually, there is not that much electronics inside. There are two PCBs, the motor to pull through the cards, and the lamp to detect the marks on the cards.

PCB1
PCB2
Connector Top
Connector Bottom
Device Pic1
Device Pic2
Device Pic3
Device Pic4
Device Pic5

So I think my next tasks are:
  • Follow the wires so we know which connector pin corresponds to which PCB pin.
  • Do some measurements. Suggestions and assistance highly appreciated.
  • Buy replacements for the broken parts. Suggestions to determine the exact kind of these parts is welcome. Shall I open them to determine if they are resistors or inductors?
Please apologize my lack of electronic knowledge. I really appreciate your help, and I think it's really worth to try reviving this device.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Service required for HP 9160A Optical Card Reader - Jurgen Keller - 01-05-2016 09:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)