why are TI graphing calculators still so expensive
01-19-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: why are TI graphing calculators still so expensive
Maybe it is lack of competition? And a big solid existing customer base with the right online resources to feed potential customer's appetite?

Not being in the profession of engineers, nor I'm at the age for the public exam those calculators are approved for, I still bring the other brand CX and a PSE to work everyday. Honestly I don't use the CX often but found the PSE very handy. There are some programs (i wrote) for work that are extremely useful.

I can't do RPN but have great respect for all you can, because I believe this is a skill that works like a third hand, or brain, when solving problem. Well then for me, the next best thing is a easy-to-work-with interface, and programming in basic like procedural style available on the other brand calc.

I actually acquired the Pocket SE with a higher price than the CX CAS. But I just can't resist a calc that have the form factor (compare to the 35s) and the functionality it offers. No CAS, but ANOVA, stat tests, graphing (albeit slow), built-in TVMs, solver (I think HPs' is better), list editor, viewing matrices...

The only HP calc that would have changed my mind (instead of getting the PSE) is the 39Gii. Unfortunately I have never saw a real one at any shops here and afaik it is a discontinued product. (Btw, not even Prime is available here. Followed the local distributor list of HP's site to visit the major ones and turns out no one carry it. Amazon won't ship here).

50G is very attractive, but after trying with emulator I can't find anything i can't do on the other brand one, but that's just me. Similar thing with the C-brand flagship 9860. I have one and like the keypad ten times better than the CX. But then again, there's nothing on it I can't do with the CX, and it's way too heavy.

So, I still end up getting the other brand. With that price tag yes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: why are TI graphing calculators still so expensive - factor - 01-19-2016 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)