TERMINAL view still does not work
01-19-2016, 04:17 PM
RE: TERMINAL view still does not work
Yes, the OS has no problems with your comment re the apple2.

What is really going on here is that the OP wants to do this:

//execute code
PrintToTerminal(...)
//pause here and wait for the user to do some stuff on the terminal
//execute more stuff
PrintToTerminal(...)
//pause here and wait for the user to do some stuff
//continue running

In a simple user function, that type of construct is not allowed because there is no way for a user program to do things like have a UI thread handling touch in the background while the function is running (that is where the single threaded comment came from). The terminal is not really a true terminal (it doesn't accept user input/editing for example), but for lack of a better word to describe it - it was dubbed the terminal. In order to support this, the options need to be built into the "Print" command, or provide a fully "handle system input" command that lets the user create a true system type loop. Both of those are on the list of future enhancements, but are not there right now.

Trying to use "wait" to stop and take input from the user despite that not being close to what the command does, how it is explained in the documentation, or is meant to be used for. Its just like using SIN instead of ATAN simply because "they are both trig functions so they should all do what I expect".

Chances are it will be improved at some point with more capability and options at some point in the future (2d output, input, control of scrolling, etc), it just hasn't been that high of a priority. It always comes down to the question of balancing time and resources against benefits. No matter what we pick, someone's "most critical feature" is not going to match the list.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TERMINAL view still does not work - Tim Wessman - 01-19-2016 04:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)