WP-34S --> WP-30S: Reduce / Reuse / Repurpose
02-06-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: WP-34S --> WP-30S: Reduce / Reuse / Repurpose
(02-06-2014 05:47 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  Downloaded and flashed. Overall, I like it. A little hard to use with no overlay, I have to refer to your layout picture. I like that the shift key is where it is on the 30b, as well as the up and down arrows. With practice, maybe I could memorize the function locations. At least I can always just hold the key down to get the function name and keep holding to null it out if I guess wrong.

Just a couple of minor comments/questions:

Do we really need both a SHOW command, which lets you scroll through and view the lettered and numbered registers, and a VIEW command that lets you view any individual register? If not, then SHOW could behave like SHOW on the 42S (and f-PREFIX on the 15C) to show the full mantissa.

Have you considered incorporating Bit's two-line display mode? I think that would be welcome on a basic or beginner’s calculator, so you can see the x and y registers and what happens to them for various operations.

I see that the "h" is lit when you press the shift key. Classically speaking (for example, on the 31E) if there was only one shift key, it was the "f" key, which also was the yellow shift key as you depict. So could we get an "f" instead of an "h"?

Thanks for your efforts.
I am glad you tried it, and am thankful for your feedback. In terms of an overlay, perhaps if there is enough interest, a community solution will present itself. I had not paid any attention to the 30b keys, but I did look at the Pioneers where similar key placement was made. Looking at the 30b now, some keys would only need labels on shift positions, and we could use the same blue colour for Shift.

In terms of View and Show, I could utilize the WP-34S command for showing the entire number, in lieu of Show, thereby satisfying your request. I think that is a good idea actually. Keyboard command could still be Show.

I had not considered Bit's Y register addition, but that is a fantastic idea. Perhaps also for the planned 31S.

Yes, i recognize that H shift is displayed, but classically speaking, it should be F shift. Blame this on me, and my tinkering with the code, where I saw it easier to make the primary shift key as H. This also led me down the path of making the Hyp catalog, instead of a Hyp key. Doing this again, i would use the code for F shift instead as the Primary shift key.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP-34S --> WP-30S: Reduce / Reuse / Repurpose - Sanjeev Visvanatha - 02-06-2014 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)