Casio Prizm keyboard
02-19-2016, 09:35 AM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard
(02-18-2016 05:59 PM)Condo Wrote:  I recently tried a demo unit of a Casio Prizm at a local store. The large keys look great in pictures, but felt soft and squishy on the unit I handled. They don't look rubbery, but that's how they felt. I was considering getting one for my son who will attend high school in the Fall. (Yes I did check with the Math Department head, that recommended a TI-84 of course, but assured me that the assignments could be done on any similar function calculator.) I just thought the Prizm, being a newer model with a way better screen was a much better value. Handling this CG10 gave me a low impression of the build quality. Did anyone else get the same impression?

I think it's a great calculator. [Note - I have the European model, CG-20: I assume the hardware is the same on each model.] The keyboard is the same as on all Casio models for many years now - soft, but the keys always register exactly once when pressed. I particularly like the display - similar colour calculators use hinting when rendering characters but on low resolutions the result is always fuzzy - whereas the Casio has fixed-sized fonts which are crystal clear. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

The Prizm isn't as powerful as a TI-nspire but it is far easier to use. I'm assuming that you've already considered and rejected the HP Prime which is a truly gorgeous machine.

If your maths department confirms that the Prizm is fine then it will be. The only disadvantage compared to a TI-84 is that you/your son will have to read the manual yourselves. There is quite a lot of hidden functionality. Also, it doesn't have the ability to play nearly so many games as the TI calculator; this may or may not be relevant.

Nigel (UK)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Casio Prizm keyboard - Condo - 02-18-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard - Jlouis - 02-18-2016, 09:32 PM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard - Nigel (UK) - 02-19-2016 09:35 AM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard - Chasfield - 02-20-2016, 09:39 AM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard - Condo - 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: Casio Prizm keyboard - Eddie W. Shore - 02-21-2016, 10:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)